Friday, October 22, 2010

When did I become an American? Now that's a good question to think about....

Well first let’s define what an American in my opinion is. In the history books, the Native Americans were originally the people of this land but when the Europeans immigrated here, they imposed claims upon the land of these native people. As a result, the natives were forced to live on tiny strips of land known as reservations while the many Europeans own the land and spread their influences over this entire continent. When the Europeans immigrate to North America, they had left behind their cultures and traditions but not the ones that they liked such as being faithful to the church. In present-day America, the immigrants don’t necessarily leave behind any of their cultures or traditions but instead incorporate their practices and ideas into American society. Then as more immigrants come to the U.S, there would be less distinct features that separate Americans from Asians, Africans or people of other races because ideas from those countries are being spread throughout America. If that is true, then the only important characteristic of an American is his/her participation in a democratic government.
                In order to participate in a democratic government such as by voting, I would have to become a U.S citizen. Basically I’m not a U.S citizen yet so I wouldn’t be able to vote. Also besides from voting, I haven't participate in any events relating to the government so I don’t think I became an American yet. If I were to become a U.S citizen and vote in the future or participate in the government such as getting supporters for a law that had not been passed, then I would become an American. For now, I still a Chinese citizen who immigrated to the U.S and waiting to obtain my U.S citizenship.

1 comment: